Tuesday 7 January 2014

Birthday shenanigans!

Funnily enough since my last blog post, there have actually been some amazing games at DTD! I've been a bit busy with other things so only played two sessions, but I understand from Thursday - Sunday of last week there was at least one incredibly deep and juicy 1/2 game every day, with 3k 4k stacks around and some huge swings.

I enjoy these games, because the banter is always great, the adrenaline rush very high, and the metagame wars between regs always very deep and complex - it's all very high octane. However it doesn't allow me to play my game, I would usually rather be table captain and be the one raising and 3betting rather than taking the passive options, but in these games it seems like the correct way to play, even though it feels a bit weak.

I've taken a bit of a back seat in the dick swinging wars and just spectated really as Mitch and Fred go at it every hand, every night. I've been the guy that's sat there waiting to find Aces and get caught up in the crossfire and luckbox a cheeky double up! I hate that guy!

It's not been intentional, I've just had aces two or three times and everytime I have either someone has gone nuts (Fred) or had a hand too and gone with it (Mitch). In the last session I actually doubled up three times but ended up winning about £100!

In between these sessions has been my birthday, a couple of nights out and Sunday bloody Sunday.

On my actual birthday I went down to London to see some family. My cousin Amy had a baby last year who is so awesome I love him!


I got back to Nottingham for the evening and had a very messy night out with Fred and Tom and loads of Fred's mates from Derby which was good. I unwisely mixed beer with wine with vodka with jaeger which proved to be a disaster combo for the hangover that followed. I don't usually get hangovers but this one was pretty horrific and it was on a sunday so had to man up and play a proper session with it too :(.

Last night I organised a meal for the birthdays of Sean, myself and Mitch - it was quite short notice but we got 10 people out to Iberico World Tapas in Nottingham, which is absolutely amazing, definitely my favourite restaurant in Nottingham now. The last time I went was when we celebrated PJ winning a live tournament. So it's been fucking ages! I had forgotten how good it was.

Yes that's Fred with the beard at the back. 

The banter at said meal was first class, a really really good time was had. The bill was £400 and 7 of us bought out for £40 (I know, everyone's too under it to degen flip for this like we used to!) leaving Fred, Stato and Linton to flip - first card out pays nothing, then it's a heads up flip, winner gets the £280 buyout money, and loser pays the entire £400! Against the run of form, Fred lost and Stato won!

I've played two online sessions in 2014 so far, both have been disastrous, not cashing a single tournament on Sunday (ouch) and cashing almost nothing in the other one. So the makeup is ever rising, but some good chances to get out with the GPS this weekend and a big trip to Deauville in a couple of weeks for the FPS and EPT. Hope to start the year off with a bang! 

Good luck everyone this weekend, it's going to be a sick tournament :)


No comments:

Post a Comment