Tuesday 31 December 2013

2013 review!


This montage video sums up the year pretty nicely! Hope you stick it out for the full 5 minutes, I worked hard on this!



Poker wise 2013 has not been very good. 2011 and 2012 were both great years but I felt that in both I had ran very well overall. It set the bar pretty high for 2013 and although replicating either year would've been great, I wasn't expecting to necessarily. Still, 2013 has fallen slightly below what I expected to "earn" in the year.

Facts figures and graphs!

Profit graph for the year. Should've retired in May!
Had a record 5 Losing Months this year which is terrible! Considering I play live a lot, and tournaments a lot I guess it's not that uncommon.

35 hours/week average. Very happy with that volume to be honest, slightly up on previous years, I've definitely worked hard played hard again this year.

Trips abroad and shots




Poker trips to Deauville, San Remo, Marbella, Vegas, Galway, Barcelona, Riga and Prague have been all losing trips except for Vegas which was breakeven after expenses.

Whilst playing on my own money I have taken shots in one 10k wsop main, two 5k EPTs, one 2k, three or four 1500s, numerous 1ks and failed to cash in any.

Whilst all being sensible and good value shots, and I've always sold an appropriate amount of action, and obviously it's like 15 tournaments, it's not really an unusual streak -they're still classed as shots, and to return 0 from over 30k of buyins has been a hit to finances and morale. 2012 was the same tbh, though I mincashed an EPT and WPT Prague, I bricked all other high buyin stuff last year too. Really want to prove myself at that highest level next year. Not that a result in one would prove anything but you know what I mean...(for the variance police out there)

All online festivals SCOOP, WCOOP and both Winaseries have been losing seri too which all add up pretty quickly.

I've ran well in plenty of other areas. Live cash I've continued to do well in until recently. Despite action drying up and other things hampering my ability to make money there, that's been my bread butter again this year. I've had three low 5 figure scores in low/med buyin live tournaments and broken my online duct by winning the Winamax main for my biggest winning day of the year. I've had all my own action for all but one of tournaments too which has helped.

Winning the big game in November. Was still a losing month!


So it's not been a terrible year, but significantly down on my first two years. I've made it though without going bust and still got some left over for 2014, that's the main thing! Also I like to compare how I've done to what I "could" have done had I stayed at Uni and got a job in the city and unless I ran golden in the jobs market, I think I've out performed alter ego Alex this year! :)

Outside of Poker

My life outside of poker in 2013 has been dominated by one person.

Breakfast in Barcelona


Victoria lives in Latvia and every month this year we've met up to spend 4/5 days together. It has been absolutely amazing. A complete break from all things poker, and I've loved every single trip. We've met numerous times in Riga and Tallinn, but also ventured to Krakow, Vilnius, San Remo, Monte Carlo, Stockholm, Barcelona and Prague. My time with her has without a doubt been the best thing about 2013.

Other than that I've continued with the piano, learning the vast majority a piece I always wanted to learn - Chopin's G minor Ballade. As well as working out how to play every song Capital FM have on their extremely limited drive time playlist!

-Sport and Exercise have taken a back seat this year(for a change) and I have gotten a little bit FAT over the past few months! Shocking. I really need to get that in check and when I get to Macau I'll get on it big time. I WILL!

-Made good progress with cooking this year in that I actually do it now so that's good.

-Strengthened family relationships and built some new friendships.

Overall, I guess I've got to say it's been a good year. 7.5/10.

I ordered a whiskey and this is what they bring?!

Next blog will be about my aims for 2014!

Happy new year guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment