Saturday 21 December 2013

Gap yah!

I've never blogged about my gap year really which is strange considering what a big impact it had on my life and how incredible it was. I kept a written diary during this year which I've disastrously lost.
However I've got plenty of photos and memories stored up top so I'll share the very best ones with you now.

Teaching in Kenya 

The church I had been a part of growing up had links with a girls primary school in rural Kenya and I wrote to them to see if they'd like a volunteer for a few weeks or months. It was easily set up and I was there for 10 weeks in total. There were no other volunteers, no other white people around for miles and miles and I was totally immersed in the culture there. What an experience. I went back there the following summer to the same school for another stint teaching.

"Teaching" volleyball to the kids. Notice flawless "dig" technique ;)


At the top of Mt Kenya, in time for sunrise

Conservation work in the Jungle, Peru

I then spent 2 months in Peru working on an organised project in the heart of the Amazon rainforest. Too many photos to share. Here's the very best.

Toucan
Some kind of monkey...

Caiman, caught off the side of the boat


Anaconda
Rope bridge up to highest lookout point in the region

































































Travelling in South America

I met some guys in the jungle that were up for a bit of travelling after the project finished, so the following 2 months were spent travelling around Peru, Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay.
El Misti (5800m), Peru

Uyuni Salt Flats, Bolivia

Rio, Brazil

Iguazu falls, Paraguay/Brazil border

Bariloche, Argentina
That's me skydiving!

South America is the coolest part of the world, and it's not even close! Definitely going back there soon.

Hope you guys enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment